Home

Home

Book - 2015
Average Rating:
5
Rate this:
The comedian and talk show host shares her passion for home design, a look at her homes, and the secrets she has learned over twenty-five years of renovation and decoration.
Publisher: New York :, Grand Central Life & Style,, 2015
Edition: First edition
ISBN: 9781455533565
Branch Call Number: 747.0973 DEG
Characteristics: 304 pages : colour illustrations ; 29 cm
Alternative Title: Ellen DeGeneres home

Opinion

From the critics


Community Activity

Comment

Add a Comment

d
DveBeleMede
Aug 02, 2016

In Introduction Ellen says: “Welcome to my homes. Welcome. This book is all about – you’re never going to believe this – the home! It’s about my current home, my former homes, what makes a home a home, and what can you do to make your home homier”. So the book is not about her last/current home, it is about seven houses (one condo, actually two condos) she and Portia lived in over the years (60% of the book) and then it is about (remaining 40%) another seven houses, where her favourite furniture shop owners live (!?). At the end of the book, there are also several pages with info and pictures of these furniture/antiques stores.
I somehow expected lots of colour and tons of wit and fun, at least that’s how I see Ellen as a person (yes, I almost bought this book) - but it looks she likes (needs?) quiet and calm, and rustic and not so warm and cosy environments to live and relax. Yes, there is an interesting intense green kitchen in one of her homes and a few pages with coloured (rusty, okra) walls shown, but the overwhelming majority of photos are tan, beige, faded burlap, washed stone, old barn, kid of colours – tiring to look at and not enjoyable and pleasing to (my) eyes.
I am so glad my library (OPL) has copies of the book and I am even more glad the wait/hold wasn’t too long, so I got the see the book and discover I didn’t like it at all.
I’ve never been to L.A. but I’ve seen Alex Hitz’s (charming, glamorous, interesting), Barbara Barry’s (oh soooo elegant to the point of being extremely boring, uninspiring almost depressing), Peter Dunham’s (lots of warmth, textures, patterns, cozy, comfy) and other people’s homes in design magazines. I guess it is hit and miss with celebrities and designers and their places and books – this one, in my opinion, turned out to be not interesting or inspiring. In the end, I am giving it 2,5 out of 5 stars, 1,5 stars for the effort (for writing the book and willing to open/show her private quarters to the public) and one star on top since she does collect art and also recycles old pieces of furniture (all of which I respect and appreciate).

m
mckeett
Jun 28, 2016

Nice selection of estates she bought - loved the one with olive trees - but I found her decorating style to be haphazard and uninspiring. Take a bunch of odd stuff and plunk it around in different spots. Money is nice but it doesn't necessarily add up to good taste. Sorry.

n
newdog
Apr 30, 2016

As Ellen takes such pride in her some design and styling, I expected so much more from this book. I found 98% of it to be extremely boring...of course, as most everything in the book was the color brown, little stood out.

b
bobgrant
Feb 01, 2016

I really wanted to like this book. I like Ellen but apart from the occasionally funny remark, this is an uninspired book. Lots of concrete floors and beige walls. I like minimalism and moderism but this is just boring. It also hits me that in this day and age of people downsizing and being less consumer-driven, a book containing estates and compounds for exactly two people is rather obscene.

debwalker Dec 08, 2015

Well, unlimited money helps! Nevertheless, this is a beautiful and inspiring source of ideas for every home, plus a glimpse into the private worlds (and many homes) of the Hollywood mega-elite. And it's funny - it's Ellen!

Age Suitability

Add Age Suitability

There are no age suitabilities for this title yet.

Summary

Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.

Notices

Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.

Quotes

Add a Quote

There are no quotes for this title yet.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number

Subject Headings

  Loading...

Find it at RPL

  Loading...
[]
[]
To Top